Sunday, December 6, 2009

Watch out! 10th post for Idiot Savant

WATCH OUT!

That was the loud and obnoxious sound that was played over and over throughout the play. When it was first played I actually did "watch out". I thought that something drastic was about to happen on stage. A few days after the play I realized that it had been played, not to anticipate something drastic that was about to happen, but to represent a reoccurring theme. This was all made clear to me one morning when I was waiting to pick up my friend to drive him to school. I had been listening to the radio waiting for him to get in the car when all of a sudden I heard a very familiar tune. I am not sure what exactly the song was called, but it is the one that is constantly played in all of those Sam Adam's commercials. When the song came on I just thought that I was going to hear the advertisement for Sam Adam's beer, but when I realized that what was playing was a real song, I noticed what the producers of that commercial had been trying to do. They played the same song over and over in every commercial to get people to remember what was being advertised. This was so every time that song was played, whether it was for the commercial or not, people would think of their product. They wanted to make their product stick. This is what the producers of Idiot Savant did, they used the same copy of the woman's voice screaming "watch out!" over and over to make a reoccurring theme stick with the audience. This was so every time that the sound was played, we would be able to recognize exactly what was happening on stage. Stickiness happens everywhere, you just have to WATCH OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment