Monday, April 26, 2010

The Animacules

“I have trouble explaining my satisfaction with the animalcules” (pg.260) This quote taken from Mark A. Smith's article "Animacules and Other Little Subjects" is one which I find to be interesting to say the least. This quote conveys his fascination with the Animacule in ways that he cannot describe. He feels a sense of relaxation when he sees them. They are his food for thought by making him wonder that if this biological world is able to exist everyday without any interference in our world then what is out there. He wonders is there is "more" out there which is undiscovered. He compares his findings and feelings to those of an astronaut looking through a telescope. both of these actions are exactly the same conceptually yet are on two different levels. Looking through a microscope we are given a glimpse into a world so much smaller and yet larger, in a sense, at the same time than our own. Through the telescope it is the reverse microscope in a sense. It is the same concept as the Animcaule looking backwards through the microscope because when we look through the telescope we are given a look into what surrounds us on a much larger scale.
One thing that made me just want to close the book the entire way through the article is that its drowned out in useless information. the article just goes on and one about nothing. I cannot stand reading anything that is drowned out. that feeling when you just want to tell the author to shut up and move on. That's what I had the entire time. I think the first page was just about the way his microscope looked. Once again I did not like this article either.

3 comments:

  1. A lot the articles we have read are probably really interesting, for people who actually know what the authors are talking about and share the same joy in talking about their favorite type of microscope. needless to say i agree with you that it was too much, and would have been better if smith just got to the point. the only thing that go me through it was picturing how the author must look, which i imagined to be dr kronin, a crazy old man and my bio teacher from high school who used to bring polluted water to class in a thermos for us to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit, I thought that you liked the essay, until I read the part about you wanting to close the book and that the author went on and on, so you through me for a loop! LOL, I do agree however that just like the rest of the essay's we have read, the authors all over stated their points and added way to much scientific data, that caused the essay to go way too long, and in doing so, lost me completely. I would have liked Smith to just get to the point quickly and leave out the useless data...blah, blah, blah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your ideas here and agree with that the author needed to get to the point faster. However, it was an interesting concept and a pretty decent article compared to others from that collection book.

    ReplyDelete