Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Where's your food from?

"Food miles" I think is probably the most interesting idea in this article. The scary thing about it is that it is completely right. Every time that we buy something from far away we exert so many of our resources for something that can be grown a couple of towns over on a farm. Even inside of the U.S. it is very possible for us to get all of our foods from farms out east on Long Island, but most of us choose to buy them from companies which grow their products on farms in the Midwest. All this does is add more fuel costs to the actual product. Last year in my environmental science class we watched a video which spoke about this sort of thing. One of the examples used was the $200 hamburg from McDonalds. What the scientist in the video had proposed was that in order to truly balance out our ecological footprint, we should have to pay for all of the costs associated with making that one product. What he realized was that if we did McDonald's hamburger would roughly cost around $200 each. When John Elkington says that “We are in an era of creative destruction” (292) he is telling that everyone now had new ideas all of a sudden. Since people have gotten on the idea of "going green" every corporation, just as Tesco in the article, is now advertising itself as being more green than the next one. It's just a creative way to advertise themselves. What I first thought of when I read this and the three steps about fixing your home to be more green, was the clip from the Simpsons' movie where they are trapped inside of the giant dome and all of a sudden "Dome Depot" comes on tv with new products to use to clean the dome. People will try and make money off of everything and this is the prefect example. Now that we are facing the issue of global warming, everyone is trying to capitalize off our our destruction and be creative with it. We are now trapped in the dome.
Do I feel personally responsible for Global Warming? Yes, I can honestly say that I do. Every time that I go to a gas station to fill up my car I just watch the numbers go up on that little LED sign that tells me how fast I and everyone else is slowly killing the planet.....oops I meant to say filling up our gas tanks, but I guess it's just the same. Watching as I fill up my car I realize that we are trapped. There is no way out of the CO2 fix that we are in. Were all like druggies in a sense because we just keep wanting more, creating more of a problem for ourselves, knowing that we NEED to stop yet somehow cannot. We're all hooked on CO2. Everyone is responsible for global warming in some form or another. We all consumer more than we need o which leads to an exhaustion of our resources in production and an increase in the burning of fossil fuels which releases CO2 into the atmosphere, and the biggest problem which we all do everyday, is drive. Almost everyone drives everyday of their lives. I drive everyday back and forth to school, sometimes to work and then also sometimes just to get food off campus during the day or just any other simple errand that I do. It's impossible for me to get everywhere I need to without a car and of course he only way to power a car is with fossil fuels. Granted companies are coming up with ways to give us new electric cars, but in today's economy most people are not going to go out and just replace all of their present fossil fuel burning, global warming causing cars with new electric ones. Just because companies have ways to reduce our emissions, doesn't necessarily mean that they are going to fix everything.

1 comment:

  1. Mike I agree with your analysis but I never saw that episode of the Simpsons, I guess I will have to catch it. I think that we all know and are aware like you said of our carbon footprint, you even studied it in your class. I think that unfortuntely, no one is willing to do anything about it, not because they are mean, but because we can just shove it all under the rug, hide it, because none of us will be around to see the poop hit the fan anyway so go on like ususal. We are all responsible don't be to hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete