Sunday, November 29, 2009

1st post for Idiot Savant

This will be the first of my ten reflections on the play Idiot Savant.

It has been about 2 weeks now since I have seen this play down in the village and I still seem to think about it very often. The only reason that I could imagine I have for this constant recollection is that I have to develop a reaction to this play for my fourth paper grade. The thing is that I know this is not the reason and I still am at a loss to the simple question of why? Honestly I did not like the play at all mainly because I did not fully understand it. (Granted I did have some thoughts of my own about the performance, but those will be coming in my later blogs.) I did however find the play extremely interesting and I would love to know the actual meaning behind the entire performance. As for whether my take on it was right or not, that does not matter to me, I know how I viewed the play and I think that might have been partially right in all that I was saying but it would still interest me to know the true meaning behind it all. This is because the whole play seemed to be symbolism and deep meaning. What was the point of the giant duck, why did he have to play mini golf, why did the lady come out from behind the table, why did he wear the yellow jacket? There are countless more questions that I have for this play, most of which I have attempted to answer. The fact that this play was so abstract is what makes it so difficult to answer these questions. Also, why Wilem Defoe?

No comments:

Post a Comment