Monday, November 16, 2009

Stalking.....

Today our assignment for english was one which I never thought I would ever receive. We were instructed to meet in the lobby of the library and stalk people. As our class walked in my professor handed us a worksheet to fill out and then it was up to us to find people.
As I was walking through the library I walked right up to the center and sat down on the couches by the row of computers. I think the girl that I was stalking was kind of on to me and probably very creeped out. Her posture in a way gave me that impression. She was sitting there doing her paper, yet she kept aware of her surroundings, mainly me. I was totally not discrete about it either, when I sat on the couch she was the person who was sitting the closest to me at the row of computers. Also, I sat facing her directly to make it even more obvious. The part that I think could have possibly gave it away that I was stalking her was that when I got up to get my coffee I went back to the exact seat in front of her and sat facing her again and continued to take notes. She also kept glancing over her shoulder every two minutes while she was at the computer. I feel that I might have distracted this person greatly from her actual assignment for the sake of my own. Oops. I do feel kind of bad though because she might have had an important paper to do, but I wasn't sitting there for that long so it's alright.
In a way my subject kind of deserved to be stalked because when I was walking over to find a person, she kept glancing over towards me to see what I was doing. It was a general glance it was kind of a "what are you doing over here, I'm just going to watch what you do" kind of glance. It was a little creepy so I decided that it was time for her to be creeped out back and that she was going to be my subject for this assignment. In a way she brought it upon herself because she got my attention by glancing over to me about five times in thirty seconds.
My subject however was not very interesting, she was just another average ordinary student in the library. By this I mean that she looked and dressed like everyone else and also was sitting down typing and keeping to herself, not doing anything out of the ordinary what so ever. My subject was wearing sweatpants, a hoodie, uggs and I am pretty sure she had a blackberry with her too. This to me is what I mean by ordinary, not saying that everyone at Hofstra is like that because they aren't, but because at my high school this was almost how every girl looked day after day, all she was missing was a gigantic iced coffee. She also carried around a bag and a scarf too, along with about three different books that she was using to type her paper. Even after I had been sitting down there and taking notes based on the worksheet that we had, she continued to glance over towards me to see what I was doing. After all I did make it kind of obvious, but the assignment wasn't to be discrete. She certainly wasn't discrete in how she continued to glance at me, but I was not her only focus while I was sitting there. She kept looking at her books and then taking a pause, putting her hands on her head in both frustration and thought it seemed like. After that she'd type out about a sentence or two. I think the entire time I was there she only typed about maybe half a page in total. Other than that she did not have many interactions at all. She did not go on facebook or look down at her phone at all. The only things on her mind were me and the paper that she was typing not very diligently.
My overall take on this assignment was at first it felt extremely odd to be doing, but after a while I just thought of it as a school assignment that had to be done and ruled out in my mind how actually wrong it was, just for the 45 minutes that we had to do this for. It was definitely an interesting assignment though, one which I don't expect to get again.

No comments:

Post a Comment