Thursday, November 5, 2009

So Billy Collins.....??

My top six questions:
1. Is there supposed to be any deep symbolism in the objects chosen?
2. Was there any past experience in our life that made you want to mock love poems?
3. Why was it those first two lines that you chose to write about?
4. What was the rest of that poem like?
5. What made you want to criticize someone's writing like that?
6. What magazine did you get the article from?




My favorite question:
2. Was there any past experience in your life that made you want to mock love poems?

My honest guess to this question is that there was not a past experience. I know this is probably not the response that you thought I would use, but I have my reasons for it. Perhaps instead of their being a single past experience in his life, there has been many. Thinking about this seems perfectly logical to me. Being the great poet that he is, Billy Collins has probably not only written countless poems, but he has also probably read a great deal too. Perhaps it was that after reading so many of these love poems that all have no meaning, with their pointless symbolism always thrown in, it was about time, in Billy Collins' mind, that someone should write the total opposite of a love poem. In this piece that Billy Collins wrote, he completely mocks everything that poetry stands for. He turns what could be a love poem into a complete and total bash of the first two lines of someone else's poem. It's unfortunate for the author of the poem that BIlly Collins took the first to lines from to be criticized. There he was probably thinking about how great his poem is, with being published in a magazine and all, and there goes Billy Collins tearing his work apart. Billy Collins turns those first two lines into a complete mess. He makes us all realize in a way that all of this pointless writing which seems to be so deep and have so much meaning in of its symbolism, is actually pointless and has nothing to do with love at all. Just in the symbolism that Collins chooses to use, everything in that poem is turned into a sham. I personally enjoyed Collins' poem because I do not like poetry where authors try to be deep and hide meaning in their words. I prefer my reading to be straight forward, no matter what type of material the reading may be. For me this was the perfect poem because it just made fun of love poems entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment