Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Stickiness really did stick

So I was out to lunch the other day with my mom since I had off from school and she began to tell me a story about my neighbor's child. We have known these people for about thirteen years now and their youngest child is about five years old. My mother was over their house the other night and she told me about how the five year old went up to her and starting singing in french. When she told me this I was comepletely surprised considering that he is only five, but he is learning very basic french in his Kindergarten class. The point of my story is that he was only able to sing french because that is how they taught him to remember what they were learning. This is probably the most productive way of teaching because if you sat down a five year old and told him to follow along with a french lesson, 99% of the time the child will remember nothing from that lesson. It is only because that they were able to appeal to him and make him learn in a way that is fun and creative that he was able to remember french. I can vouch for this in two different subjects. I learned a math equation in 10th grade to the melody of "Pop goes the Weasel" and to this day I can still remember the equation perfectly. It was the quadratic equation. Also, when I was in 8th grade I remembered how to say all of the question words in spanish through a simple song to the melody of "Jingle Bells". Even when I used to do my spanish homework I would start to hum the tune and sing the song in my head just so I could remember the words. I still remember how to say them now and I haven't taken spanish class in two years. Isn't it amazing how people can sometimes remember the most random of facts just from learning them in the simplest of ways?

1 comment:

  1. wow, thats really interesting that such a little kid is learning french. I agree if things are presented in a fun and creative way you tend to remember them well, not just through music. I remember when i was in high school, my calculus teacher always use to play games with us to teach us the material. He never used music, but I learned so much from him because I was always having fun, and calculus isnt a very fun subject to learn.

    ReplyDelete