Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanks Garmin

So I was in the city last night and as I was walking past Rockefeller Center I noticed that light show going on outside of Saks 5th Avenue. They had these giant light up snowflakes on the front of the building that would light up at different times to the tune of a christmas song. I do not know the name of it but the tune is very familiar. What I noticed the most as I was watching this light show was that I could not get the Garmin commercial out of my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9WxJ1aN42E&feature=rec-LGOUT-exp_fresh+div-HM

There are about 5 different versions of this commercial and this is just one of them. But the point is that Garmin has taken this widely known song and put there own twist on it so now whenever I hear this song I cannot stop thinking about the Garmin commercial. When I was in the city last night I could not get it out of my head. I doubt that I am not the only person who thinks this way about the song so Garmin has ruined this christmas song and taken it to a corporate level and, I feel, has taken the christmas out of the song. Thanks Garmin.

P.S. Here is another version of the song but I don't think that this has ruined the song as much because this is simply a parody which is not played very often. The Garmin commercial I see on T.V. all of the time and the fact that it is used to represent christmas in the commercial has taken away more from christmas because as in this next clip there are no reference to christmas at all. The fact that the Garmin commercial is about christmas and is just another advertisement takes away so much more from christmas and the original song itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBgHTJOsi6c&feature=related



One last note, THINK ABOUT HANSEL AND GRETEL. Don't you think that there is a connection between what I just said and with Hansel and Gretel? All Garmin did was take a widely known song and put there own twist on it to be memorable. Same thing with AT&T. They just took a widely known story and put their own twist onto it. There was no deep meaning behind it, they did the same thing that Garmin did. Use things which stand out to your own advantage! Hansel and Gretel is a classic story about getting lost and now AT&T can jump in and use their new AT&T phone with GPS to add a new twist to the story. Just as Garmin used a well known song to have the audience add a new meaning to it. This is so now every time a person hears that song they will think about Garmin and every time they see Hansel and Gretel they will think about AT&T. Simple as that, both companies have just ruined two well known pieces of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment